Overview of the Romanian aerospace & defense market
- Romania is home to several companies with a strong expertise in the aerospace manufacturing and maintenance such as Avioane Craiova (production of aircraft subassemblies), IAR Brasov (components for helicopters), Romaero Bucharest (production of aircraft components and aircraft repair and maintenance) or Aerostar Bacau (aircraft components).
- Eurocopter Romania, Aernnova European Component and Premium AEROTEC (German subsidiary of the Airbus Group) are based in Brasov. Not far from Brasov, in Ghimbav, Airbus Helicopters is building a new plant to manufacture Super Puma helicopters.
- General Electric has a plant in Romania as well. The GE Aviation plant's entire exports go to USA, with Boeing and Airbus as final customers.
- Sonaca expands its activity in Eastern Europe through a greenfield investment of several million euro in the aerospace sector, by setting up a production facility in Romania – Moldovenesti, Cluj county, with the main objective of developing an industrial capacity and specialize in its activities complementary to those of the other entities of the Group. The new facility will produce parts for Embraer and Airbus.
- Turbomecanica is the only Romanian manufacturer of turbo jet and turbo shaft engines and an internationally recognized supplier of high complexity engine & helicopter components for programs such as Trent 700, Trent 900, cfm, AW 109. Turbomecanica is amongst the few Romanian Companies certified by EASA.
Romania can boast the presence of recognized assemblers in the future.